Idiotcheck are a Melbourne 3-piece pop/punk band in the vein of Blink 182 and Mx Px. Kath talks to Ruben, the band's singer/songwriter/guitarist. (One thing he'd like to change about the music industry is the size of the drink rider. Good answer!)
1) How long have Idiotcheck been together? About 2 and a half years
2) Where does the name come from? Its a muso term. You play a show, pack up your gear and then do an 'idiotcheck' to make sure you havn't left anything behind. Some weird guy in St. Kilda told us that as he was rolling up a big fat joint.
3) How did you guys all meet? I played in a previous band with Gareth, and went to uni with Tony's sister. We met at his sisters 21st party, talked music all night, done deal.
4) What would be your 3 major musical influences? My three major influences would be MxPx, Strung Out & Blink 182. The other guys influences would be Greenday, The Offspring, and Faith No More.
5) What is one thing you'd like to change about the music industry? The size of the drink rider.
6) Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs time? Doing exactly what wer'e doing now. Writing good songs and having fun.
7) What do you think makes a band stand out from all the others? From a live perspective, stage presence, tightness, looking like you really want to be there. From a studio album perspective, great songs.
8) What CD releases have you had out? Any in the pipe-line? We've got an e.p. "...a dingo got my boobie" that we did in 2000, then we have done a bunch of singles and have recently released our debut full-length album. We've got a bunch of songs we're working on at the moment but they wont come out for a while yet.
9) Favourite cast member of Secret Life of Us? Sorry, i only watch ads. Did you know ham is $11.99 a kilo at BI LO? What a bargain eh??
10) Final thoughts........(On your band, where you're headed, words of wisdom, etc....) See ya at a show!!