Article By Kath. Porcelain Interview (Now called Remake Remodel)
Article By Kath on Jun 27, 2002
1) How long have Porcelain been together? SB: about 2 years in the current format.
2 ) Where does the name come from? SB: it was chosen before i joined the band so i'm not sure. however i think we will be changing it soon due to confusion between us and another porcelain - we'll see.
3) How did you guys all meet? Alex (drums) and i were in a band called Sheraw for about 2 years - around 1997-98. Jes (vox) and Melissa (bass) went to school together - they were goth chicks!
4) What would be your 3 major musical influences? mine would be: Bikini Kill, Sleater Kinney and Sonic Youth .. to name only three but there are tonnes more ...
5) What is one thing you'd like to change about the music industry? how much original bands get paid compared to covers bands
6) Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs time? in a country band playing mandolin or travelling around the world (or both)
7) What do you think makes a band stand out from all the others? i think we have a different retro rock sound... Jes's vocals aren't like anything i've heard sung by a woman in a local band - very new wave delivery - a little like early Pretenders. Also we all have really different influences and rarely agree, so i think this creates great band dynamics because in contrast to that - we are all great friends. When you come and see Porcelain live you come and see us having fun, hanging out and enjoying ourselves - like we would if we were shopping - we just happen to be on stage with instruments! Jes often gets down off stage and mucks around with the audience too which is always fun to watch.
8) You guys have just released a new EP called "5 Track EP". Tell us about it. well it's got 5 tracks and they are all fairly varied, including a cover of I'm Bored by Iggy Pop. We recorded in October 2001 with Simon Grounds.Mixed with David Briggs. we wanted something new so we could do more shows, hopefully tour interstate as well. I'm really proud of it because we paid for it all ourselves, organised our own artwork, had a launch party that was so much fun and generally i think we have done a lot without much support.
9) Final thoughts........(On your band, where you're headed, words of wisdom, etc....) porcelain will continue playing as much as possible and hopefully go to Sydney again in the near future. We will hopefully be doing a split 7" recording in a couple of months and are writing new material. A full album would be awesome... we'll see.
Our EP is available from the Half A Cow website and also from chaosmusic.com, Gaslight, Polyester and Missing Link.